This is an old, but favorite recipe I originally posted online when I was the Herbs & Spices Feature Writer for Suite101.com. That site has pretty much disappeared although you might find the original recipe online.
Recipe Summary - Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta
Learn how-to make a simple appetizer out of peppers, tomatoes, black olives, green onions, garlic, parsley, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Besides being used as a bread spread, bruschetta can also be tossed with pasta, served with an assortment of crackers and bread sticks, or used as a baked potato topping.
Ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta
- 1 seven ounce container roasted red peppers packed in oil - drained and diced
- 1/2 cup black olives - diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes - diced
- 1 bunch green onions - sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro - minced
Directions for Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir in the roasted peppers, black olives, cherry tomatoes, green onions and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to make a dressing for the bruschetta.
- Stir the bruschetta dressing into the bowl of vegetables.
- Stir the cilantro into the bowl of bruschetta topping.
- Serve the bruschetta immediately, or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Left over red pepper bruschetta can be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for a few days.
Preparing Bread for Bruschetta Topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut a loaf of French bread into 1 inch thick, diagonal slices, using a serrated bread knife.
- Place the bread slices on a large baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the bread slices over.
- Place the bread back in the oven, and back for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve the toasted bread along with the roasted red pepper bruschetta.
Recipes Tips and Suggestions
1. Sprinkle a bit of cheese, such as feta or Parmesan, on top of the bruschetta before serving.
2. Basil or flat leaf parsley may be used in placed of the cilantro.
3. Red, yellow or orange tomatoes may be used to make the bruschetta recipe.
Lynn Smythe AKA the Cuisine Diva