Above: Sweet cashew cheese
Have you heard of cashew cheese, or have you ever tried making dairy-free, cashew "cream cheese"? I've read about it for the past few months and a couple of weeks ago I decided to give a go and made 3 varieties of the savory version of cashew cheese.
Cashew cheese is great if you are lactose intolerant, like I am. It's also vegetarian, and I think it's vegan. But I'm not an expert when it comes to vegan food. Although I am lactose intolerant, I still sneak it a bit of real cheese now and then. But lately I've had some digestive issues so I finally eliminated ALL dairy products from my diet.
Above: Medjool dates stuffed with sweet cashew cream cheese
Cuisine Diva Makes Sweet Cashew Cream Cheese
I tried making a savory version of cashew cheese a few weeks ago. It was okay, but I already have a lot of dairy-free, vegetarian dips and spreads that I like; humus, baba ganoush, white bean dip and black bean dip. Although the cashew cream cheese was fine, I probably won't make it again.
One of the things I miss, as I try to eat healthier, is sweets! I'm trying really hard not to buy or make cookies, cakes, muffins and other fattening treats. I keep a lot of fresh fruit on hand, for snacks, and keep a lot of frozen fruit in the freezer which I use to make various smoothies in the Nutri-Bullet. But I still miss a real dessert.
I had some leftover raw cashews, after making the savory version of cashew cheese, so I thought I'd like to try making a sweet cashew cheese.
Sweet Cashew Cream Cheese Recipe
I didn't actually measure anything as I was making the sweet cream cheese, I like to cook by intuition. So use this recipe as a general guideline but don't hesitate to get creative with it. Add a bit more sweetener, if you like a sweeter taste, and you can use honey or maple syrup instead of the agave syrup.
If you want a thinner version of the cream cheese, add a bit more non-dairy milk or even a splash of water. And you can use whatever spices you like such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg or ginger. And instead of orange extract, try substituting lemon or vanilla extract. Cooking isn't rocket science, it should be FUN!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon organic blue agave syrup
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
How-to Make Sweet Cashew Cream Cheese
- Place the raw cashews in a container
- Cover the cashews with water
- Place a lid on the container
- Let the cashews soak for 2-3 hours
- Drain the water from the cashews
- Place the cashews in your Nutri-Bullet or blender
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Place the lid on the Nutri-Bullet and blend until smooth
- Add a bit more non-dairy milk, if necessary, to make a smooth dip
- Place the sweet cashew cheese in a container and place in the refrigerator
The cashew cream cheese will thicken as it cools off in the refrigerator. Use the finished sweet treat as a dip for fresh fruit, spread on graham crackers or use it to stuff majool dates. You could also try stirring it into yogurt or as a topping for your morning bowl of oatmeal.
Let me know if you decide to try making sweet cashew cream cheese, and if you made any changes to the recipe.
Lynn Smythe, AKA the Cuisine Diva
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CuisineDiva
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/lynnsmythe
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/lynnsmythe/cuisine-diva/
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/+LynnSmythe50/posts