An egg in a basket is simply an egg, that has been pan fried in a piece of bread, which has had it's center removed.
- Egg in toast
- Moon egg
- One-eyed Jack
Ingredients for Making Egg in the Basket
I made eggs-in-the-basket on Friday morning for breakfast. I used rye bread, Land O'Lakes Buttery Spread, and cooked the eggs over easy.
- 2 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- Butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper
Directions for Making Egg in the Basket
You can either butter the bread first, then cut out the center, or cut out the center and then butter the bread. If you butter the bread first, you could also cook the center circle you cut out, to serve along with the eggs in a basket.
- Place a medium frying pan over medium heat on the stove.
- Cut out the middle of each slice of bread, using a cookie cutter or small knife.
- Spread both sides of each slice of bread with a bit of butter.
- Place the buttered bread into the frying pan.
- Crack open the eggs, and place one in the center of each slice of bread.
- Cook until the bread is light brown.
- Flip the egg in a basket over, and continue cooking until the other side is light brown, and the egg is cooked the way you like it.
- Garnish with salt and pepper and EAT immediately.
- Total cooking time is approximately 2 minutes per side for an over easy egg, cook a bit longer if you want to thoroughly cook the egg yolk.
Egg in the basket flipped over and continuing to cook
You could use just about any interesting cookie cutter, to cut out the center of the bread. How about using a heart shape cookie cutter when making breakfast on Valentine's Day. Or a clover shape for St. Patrick's Day, a star shape for Independence Day, etc... I have TONS of cookie cutters, I could find an interesting shape for all the major holidays.
Lynn Smythe AKA the Cuisine Diva